WELCOME TO



SOUTHWEST OKLAHOMA'S OLDEST SEAFOOD RESTAURANT
PROUDLY SERVING YOUR FAVORITE SEAFOOD, STEAKS, CHICKEN
AND PIT BBQ

FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED SINCE 1971








ABOUT FISHERMEN'S COVE RESTAURANT, WHO WE ARE AND THE AREA
 
Our family welcomes you to The Fishermen's Cove Restaurant

Open Wednesday - Saturday from 4:00 - 10:00 pm
and Sunday from 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Closed Monday and Tuesday (except for special banquets)

 

State Highway 49 - Medicine Park Trailway - Just West of I-44

(580) 529-2672

 

 

ASK ABOUT OUR GIFT CERTIFICATES

 

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

 

Fishermen's Cove

Promote Your Page Too

 

CLICK TO VIEW OUR MENU

 

VIEW OUR CHILDREN'S MENU

 
ABOUT US

We are conveniently located less than 20 minutes northwest of downtown Lawton and just two miles west of Interstate 44 on State Highway 49.  Four miles up the road is the historic cobblestone community of Medicine Park and the main entrance to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, the second most visited National Wildlife Refuge in America.

Fishermen's Cove began in 1971 when Peggy Trimpa, then a Dallas businesswoman and Joe, a chef from Portland, Maine  teamed up to opened our first location -- four miles west of our current restaurant.  It was a secluded little building on the southeastern edge of Medicine Park.  The restaurant was small, the atmosphere cozy and the food .... "a winner."  

We were one of the first restaurants in southwest Oklahoma to serve seafood specialties and locals simply referred to Fishermen's Cove as "Peggy and Joe's".  Soon the restaurant's popularity outgrew the tiny location - so the current restaurant was built to accommodate the growing demand for our quality food service.  

The Fishermen's Cove is in every sense of the word a "family operation."  The restaurant is now owned and operated by Tom Trimpa and Denise Trimpa (Peggy's son and daughter-in-law).  Tom is head chef and runs the kitchen operation, while Denise manages the front-of-the-house and greets each and every guest.  Tyler, Tom and Denise's son, assist his Dad in the kitchen prepping food and cooking.  


The Fishermen's Cove Restaurant has been awarded "Favorite Catfish Restaurant" by the Lawton Constitution's Reader's Choice Award for the past six consecutive years.

Tom can consistently be found in the kitchen preparing the food the restaurant has become so noted for over the years or in his hickory smoke pit tending to his custom smoked meats.  

Once you've sampled the BBQ and seafood dishes - it is always hard to decide which to order. A few years ago, we noticed that numerous customers would come for dinner with seafood or catfish in mind. But, when pulling into the parking lot, the smells of hickory smoke coming from Tom's meat smoker were so delicious that they were having a hard time deciding between the seafood and the BBQ. So Denise solved the issue by offering their now popular "Best Combo" - which features hickory Smoked Ribs and Freshwater Mississippi Catfish Filet.  It's a heck of combination and well worth trying.

The restaurant  has hundreds of repeat customers who have been loyal to the restaurant for decades.  We personally see to it that ALL GUEST -- be it those who have dined with us countless times or those who are visiting for the first time .... are greeted with a warm smile, good service and the promise of great food.

Come see us soon.
The Trimpa Family and Staff  of
The Fishermen's Cove Restaurant






ABOUT THE AREA -  THE WICHITA MOUNTAINS WILDLIFE REFUGE &  MEDICINE PARK
 
 The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is the second most visited national wildlife refuge in the United States hosting more than 2 million annual visitors.   Established in 1901 by United States President Teddy Roosevelt, the Refuge is one of more than 530 refuges throughout the United States managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The Refuge contains more than 59,000 acres of pristine beauty and provides habitat for large native grazing animals such as American Bison, Rocky Mountain elk, white-tailed deer, and Texas longhorn cattle. More than 50 mammal, 240 bird, 64 reptile and amphibian, 36 fish, and 806 plant species thrive on this important refuge.
 




The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge - wild, rugged, and weathered - is a symbol of the old west standing at the threshold of modern times. For centuries, this remarkable land was the province of a nomadic hunters and food gatherers. Today, the Refuge serves all Americans by keeping in public trust a portion of our nation's wildlife heritage.




Through direct exposure to wildlife and wild lands, visitors experience a personal re-creation and a renewed commitment to the value of environmental stewardship. The natural attractions of the Refuge are many and varied. In addition to viewing and photographing wildlife in their natural setting, the lakes, streams, canyons, mountains, and grasslands provide visitors with an ideal setting for permitted outdoor activities.

MEDICINE PARK

Medicine Park was founded in 1908 by a young lawyer from Lawton named Elmer Thomas and was the first planned resort town in Oklahoma.  It was developed to provide , accommodations, food, beverage and entertainment for the throngs of people who visiting the newly founded National Forest and Wildlife Refuge.




Medicine Park circa 1925 -- click any section to enlarge
The town's centerpiece is Medicine Creek and it's Bath Lake, the Curtis Davis foot bridge and Gondola Lake.  Cottages and cabins constructed with exterior facades of round cannonball sized granite cobblestones are the town's predominant architectural feature. The stones are naturally occurring and found only in the Wichita Mountains and are formed over a period of millions of years through the action of "freeze, thaw and tumble." 

In the 1920's and 30's - Medicine Park became the “playground” of the state's rich, famous and notorious. Folks would come to town for the weekend and leave their "work-a-day" troubles and reputations behind them. Outlaws and horse thieves mixed with noted politicians and businessmen, families and socialites in this new cobblestone community.

The Medicine Park "spirit" is a special blend of the Native American belief in the healing powers of the waters of Medicine Creek and the use of rounded cobblestones in almost all early-day structures. This construction material is unique in Oklahoma, and is rarely found anywhere else in the Country.



Medicine Park's resort economy thrived until the Great Depression and the advent of World War II. The Medicine Park resort was the scene of a wide variety of social and economic struggles (including its incorporation as a Town in 1969), but in the mid 1990's a pattern of declining investment began to slowly turn around. Small shops began to open as creative entrepreneurs began re-discovering the resort community. Other economic successes soon followed, giving the Town its current pattern of growth.

Today, visitors will find lots of re-newed activity, restoration and construction of new homes in addition to numerous small shops, galleries, restaurants, a tavern, a club for mixed drinks, and even a brand new winery.



HOME  |   INTRODUCTION   |   MENU   |   MAP   |   CONTACT   |   LINKS



COPYRIGHT 2009 - 2011
THE TRIMPA FAMILY
PEGGY, TOM, DENISE, TYLER

 

WEBSITE DESIGN BY:

www.lawtonka.com